At the Center for Auditory Processing at Affordable Hearing Solutions, Dr. Malcolm uses Buffalo Model evaluation and therapy for individuals with central auditory processing disorders. The first step is to obtain a comprehensive assessment detailing the listening challenges and abilities of our clients so that a treatment plan can be personalized which specifically addresses the deficit areas. Our tests answer the following questions:
- Listening in Noise: How well can you or your child understand speech when there is noise in the background?
- Auditory Discrimination: How well can you or your child hear the differences between similar-sounding speech sounds?
- Auditory Memory: How well can you or your child remember information, such as directions, lists, or study materials?
- Auditory Integration: How well do the two hemispheres of the brain communicate with each other when listening? Can you or your child ‘tune out’ unimportant information? Can you or your child synthesize the important components of the message? Auditory integration deficits are common in individuals with dyslexia and reading disorders.
- Organization: How well do you or your child sequence, plan, and organize the information obtained when listening?
Our training as audiologists provides us with a unique understanding of the function of the auditory system and effective remediation strategies to strengthen auditory skills.